My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Too Much

Sunday 0830 – I'm chugging along 11 miles into what is supposed to be a 16 mile training run at ~9 mpm

The legs aren't there…  my pace is somewhere around 12 minutes per mile I have recently decided to cut it short a couple of miles…  more in the interest of time than anything else….  That decided I have a few minutes and begin to try and assess how I got to this point and in this condition.

Well..  I felt tired when I got up… maybe I've done a bit too much…

I begin to review:

Tuesday was a pretty easy day… just spin and lift… But Wednesday…  that was "tempo day"… an 8 mile run… and despite the 90F heat I managed to nail the first 3 miles of Tempo and only sliding a bit on the last two… that workout kinda wore me out…  then on Thursday I didn't train all day I was "resting" (aka fasting for and having  a CAT scan done to try and figure out the source of my lower abdominal pain)

With the scan taken care of…  I had grabbed a bite to eat then headed over to the park for the cyclocross race….  Now anyone who knows me will vouch for the fact that I'm a pretty easy going laid back kind of guy…  but anyone who has ever ridden with me when "it's on" (race, hard group ride, etc) will also attest to fact that I get a bit…  um…  relentless…  I tend to go until my teeth go numb… 

Friday was supposed to be a "recovery run"  but in the sad state I was in after Thursday night's cross race…  7.5 miles in the heat was pretty much all I could do…

Saturday was easier…  just a two hour ride…  and an hour of weights

In the immortal words of Britney Spears…


Yep…  I do the math as I trudge along trying to hold a 12 minute per mile pace…. I have once again over done things a bit…

When will I ever learn?  Any half-baked training plan has recovery time built in…  I think I just need more days in the week…

But since that isn't going to happen I'm just going to have to focus on training smarter….  And just in time because this is my "recovery week".  I'm going to ratchet things back…  shorter and easier workouts…  at least until cross on Thursday…

Is it just me or does anyone else have difficulty finding time to recover?

3 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

tsBro, take it easy out there! You can't cook yourself all the time! :)

Will Cooper said...

for a guy who's blog title is "It's all about Pace", I have to say this should be considered something of a confession. Possibly a self intervention. You need to take a week off and read the Maffetone Method. If you had the aerobic base, you would be able to bounce back from cyclecross events. When your teeth go numb? Really? you are in an endurance sport my friend!

B.o.B. said...

I'm with Will on the irony here. It happens to the best of us. Currently, not me. I'm a post race sloth.

Followers