My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Friday, October 14, 2011

CX




From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cyclo-cross (sometimes cyclocross, CX, CCX, cyclo-X or 'cross') is a form of bicycle racing. Races typically take place in the autumn and winter, and consists of many laps of a short (2.5–3.5  km or 1.5–2  mile) course featuring pavement, wooded trails, grass, steep hills and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carry the bike whilst navigating the obstruction and remount

The above is a pretty good definition…  but they left out MUD
I have a few friends that do cross in other parts of the country…  they keep telling me how fun it is…  so… when I heard that a cross series was being organized in my hometown…  I decided that I had to try it…
And since I was so excited about it…. Judi decided to give it a whirl too…  being the little honey badger that she is.
Well we got there…  had a beer… got signed up.. ($15 each) pinned on a #...  then rode a loop of the course.
It was basically the cycling version of a goofy golf course
Not the actual course (of course)
Got a little muddy…  broke a sweat…  we were ready to start.
We seeded ourselves towards the back and without fanfare the RD shouted GO!
And here’s how it went…

PedalPedalPedal…turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal FlashSplashGurgleWhatTheFu… (I have my first non-pedaling or bike handling thought of the race) that guy just went off the side of the bridge and is now underwater with his bike on top of him

We stop for just a second…  I hear the guy thrashing in the water…  someone behind us yells “Keep going” so I do…

PedalPedalPedal…turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumpthe DitchRunupthehill… remount PedalPedalPedal turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal…
DismountJumptheBarriers remount PedalPedalPedal turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumptheBarriers remount PedalPedalPedal turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumptheBarriers remount fishtailthoughtheMUDpit
PedalPedalPedal turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumptheBarriers remount PedalPedalPedal FlashSplashGurgleWhatTheFu… (I have my second non-pedaling or bike handling thought of the race)

Another guy ran off the bridge hit the far bank and rolled sown into the stream…  I didn’t stop this time

PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumptheBarriers remount PedalPedalPedal turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumptheBarriers remount PedalPedalPedal turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumptheBarriers remount fishtailthoughtheMUDpit PedalPedalPedal turndon’tfall PedalPedalPedal PedalPedalPedalMUD PedalPedalPedal… DismountJumptheBarriers remount
And so it went…  45 minutes…  a blur…  no thought of pace…  average speed…  What lap I was on… where I was in the field… just go go go…  and keep me and my bike upright and moving forward.
I went down once… washed out in a corner… 
I heard lots of bells but never realized there was a “bell lap”.  I stopped when the dude counting laps said “Stop”

Found Judi… then found more beer.

I cannot recall when I have had more fun on a Thursday night…  we will definitely be back next week.





3 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I have given serious thought to this, did you use a cx bike or a mountain bike?

Matthew Smith said...

That sounds like a whole lot of fun! I wondered the same question as BDD...which bike did you use? I'm glad you had fun!

Wes said...

LOL... if there's beer involved, then it sounds like a good idea :-)

Followers