My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Base

Lately I’ve been in the so called “Base Period” of training.

My two big A races back in October (1/2 IM) and Marathon (December) netted PRs and signified the end of a successful season.  Now my goals are months away

It has been quite a while since I have experienced this…

In June 2009 I started training for the ACT ½ IM…  then immediately into Marathon training…
While training for the marathon I decided to sign up for Desert RATS 2010…  Well…  having never done an ultra…  the thought of basically doing  a few of them in a week (RATS) scared me into signing up for a few.  Which I did last year leading up to RATS.  Once that was over tri season was in full swing…  which in turn ran into running season again last fall. 18 solid months of build/race/repeat…. Whew!

So January 2011 was rest/cross train/base build for a new season.  And this year is all about Triathlon….  None of this ultra silliness (well…  maybe just one http://www.performancemultisports.com/Jetty2JUltra.htm )
to that end…  and with some seriously tired running legs…  I did the following:

  • 1.      Pilates
  • 2.      Absoloution (another core fitness class)
  • 3.      Yoga
  • 4.      Started swimming with the masters group
  • 5.      Had my highest swim yardage output ever
  • 6.      Bought some new tri/swim gear (Aero Helmet/Paddles)
  • 7.      Had the lowest run mileage output in the past 2 years
  • 8.      Had a solid cycling month
  • 9.      Well rounded and consistent strength training.
January Totals:
Swim: 20K (highest ever!)

Bike: 443
Run: 131
Weights: 10 hours

Now it’s February…  I do feel a bit more rested…  ready to continue with this “base phase” (and run a marathon – but just as training).  Feeling like some additional core and leg strength will go a long way…  to helping me go a long way later in the season.

5 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice month!!!

And new gear always rocks

Wes said...

chillaxin is a must after a couple of busy years :-) Now we are ready to hit it on all cylinders!

Born To Endure said...

Love that helmet!

DRog said...

Thx for stopping by my blog!!

nice job on the yoga (i started 2 months ago) Great swim month!

and ummmm 131 was a low miles month?! sounds pretty good to me:)

D

Andrew Opala said...

you seem to be a big fan of Pilates ... I actually don't like Rice Pilates ... I prefer it steamed!

Followers