My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

New adventures

1st of all I'd like to thank my friends on TRI-DRS who challenged my "foreign idea" of driving to run idea.

That feedback got me to thinking... that maybe I was missing something.

So... I hit up the local running club's website.... looking for interesting group runs/locations and... I found something:

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=18454

and even tho I did not drive to the start... I did do the run. I live about 3.5 miles from the turnaround spot. With the 7 miles on trails... and 7 miles round trip to get there I figured I could add a few miles of the Jax marathon course at the other end and have a nice long run.

So... with a few directions and street names written on my hand I was all set for a Saturday morning adventure. That's about when I noticed that it was raining outside. Well let's add wet and muddy into the mix.

So I began in a steady rain and at a steady pace... In training for ultras means that I need to start getting used to carrying stuff with me. So I took 2 12oz bottles of water and a gel flask full of honey.

Getting to, and back from, the trail was probably the worst part... sidewalks, major highway crossings etc... I guess there's a reason to drive eh?

The "trail" as it is.... is actually a doubletrack along a canal that runs parallel to the railroad. Based on the maps and satellite pictures I'd studied the night before I knew that I could cut through but was unsure of where. I found a likely spot... a hole in a fence at the corner of a vacant lot. I ducked through and had only run a few meters when I started to see evidence of homeless hooches... no people but evidence of first a small and soon a larger camp. Soon I had broken through the woods and found the road/trail.

And it was muddy... and it was still raining... but it was nice... no people.... no cars... for the next mile and a half. At the end of the doubletrack I had to slip through another hole in a fence... cross a road... then I was on a single-track trail for another mile... I crossed another road ran a few blocks down a side street and then cut though another rooty, muddy trail through a city park.

After that it was mostly streets and sidewalks to my 8.5 mile turnaround. More muddy fun on the way back but... I found that I was having a bit of an issue.... my Achilles have been bothering me since the beach run I did a couple of weeks ago... this made the last 3.5 miles on sidewalks unpleasant.

All in all I had a fun adventure and found a new playground... so.... thanks again TRI-DRS.

As for the Achilles... I decided to do my Sunday run on blacktop as much as possible, since that surface seems to bother me the least. I had issues from mile 1 but... the pain/discomfort never got any worse but mentally I was just not into running yesterday. I basically slogged along for 15 miles thinking of excuses to pack it in... then for some reason (okay I promised myself unlimited peanut butter if I ran 20) I felt like running for the last 5 and actually finished strong.

1 comment:

Regina said...

I have found that I have to take a train or the subway to run. I get sick of the same old routes here. I like an adventure! In the end I discover new places and have a great time.

sounds like you had some fun yourself!

Followers